Tuesday, February 5, 2008

New Favorite Easy Fiction

There are some great Easy Fiction books being published! Designed especially for storytime. One of my new favorites is "One Frog Sang" by Shirley Parenteau. This picture book works well in a counting storytime theme or it may be used to emphasize phonological awareness in an animal storytime theme. The illustrations by Cynthia Jabar are bright and vibrant. They fill every page. "One Frog Sang" is perfect for an interactive storytime adventure with preschoolers. Another fun book to supplement a counting storytime is "How Many Mice?" by Michael Garland.

4 comments:

Shirley Parenteau said...

Hello, Rock-a-bye Reader,
I'm so pleased to see your comments on One Frog Sang and thought you might enjoy hearing how the book came about. I live across the country from you near Sacramento, California. We have a very old house near a creek. One rainy evening, I stood on the porch listening to frogs when a car went past and they all fell silent, then gradually began singing again. Although (after 8 published children's books) I hadn't written for children since my own three grew up, I thought, "Counting Book." I was delighted that Candlewick Press decided to publish the story and found such a wonderful illustrator. Now that I have granddaughters, I'm launched again into writing for this amazing, fascinating age. Candlewick Press will publish my next book, Bears on Chairs, in fall of 2009. It's about 5 teddy bears deciding how to share 4 chairs. I hope you'll watch for it! Thanks again for your nice comments.
Shirley Parenteau

Rock-a-bye Reader said...

Ms. Parenteau,
I am thrilled that you responded to my posting! I love picture books with rhymes and eye-catching illustrations. They work so well in Storytime. I am happy to hear you will be publishing another book soon. How exciting! I will be on the lookout for it:-).
Rock-a-Bye Reader

Susan O said...

Congratulations Julie! Your blog reached all the way across the country!

Melinda C. said...

Congratulations Julie, it looks like your blog is getting a lot of attention!